River Dunes Marina and Harbor Club, Pamlico Sound, North Carolina, Director of Operations (10 years). Recruited to direct construction of a 1,300-acre site for a new business launch, and managed ongoing successful operation with a staff of 20. Involved excavation of 28 acres to depth of 8' with 2,500' canal to open water and a 1.7-mile decorative stone/engineered bulkhead. Designed and installed a floating dock system. Obtained permitting for 400 boat slips. Supervised construction of the Harbor Club, Dining Facility, Pool Complex, Bar and Grill, Marina Guest Lounge with Fitness Center, Business Office, Guest Cottages, Chapel and Lake House.
The harbor, marina and the entire development was recognized by Developer Magazine with a "National Sustainability Award", reflecting creative and thoughtful use of technology and best practices in the development of this waterfront community. See this consistently-rated 5-star resort online at River Dunes\Harbor.
Knapp's Narrows Marina & Guest Quarters, Maryland, General Manager (6 years). Directed construction of a 140-slip marina with 1,000' of floating dock oriented to transient business. Property Included fuel dock, 12 guest rooms, laundry, restaurant, ship's store, 75-ton travel lift, and full service repair facility. Managed a major revitalization project including purchase of marine construction equipment and, training staff to operate, slashing construction budget by 40%. Oversaw dredging and new additions including 100' fuel dock with computerized dock-n-pay system, and 1,000s of feet of new Radisson Design floating docks supporting transient business. See this facility at KnappsNarrowsMarina.
The Pasadena Inn, Maryland, General Manager/Lessee (4 years). Managed (for European investors) this circa 1748 country inn with 12 main house guest rooms, dining and banquet rooms, and four cottages with 16 rooms, with 20-person staff. Built solid reputation around business meetings, and conferences, weddings, and banquets, enabling investors to sell after four years.
At sea for 22 years, on sail and motor yachts:
- "Gratitude", 78' Fleming Motor Yacht, Captain.
- "Oz", 80' Don Brook, Captain.
- "Royal Eagle", 76' Ron Holland Maxi, Captain/Engineer.
- "Courvoisier", 60' Schooner, charter crew of 3, Captain/Engineer.
- "Fair Sarae", 103' Schooner, 210-tons, two-masted staysail, crew of 6, Captain/Engineer.
- "Restless", 57' Yawl, Captain.
- "Lindo", 125' 250-tons, 3-masted topsail Schooner, First Mate/Engineer.
- "Foam", 66', cruised with crew of 6 to Tahiti through Panama Canal including Galapagos and Bora-Bora, crew of 6, Captain.
- "Moondance", 72' Steel Schooner, Owner/Operator.
- "Shadowfax", 52' Colin Archer-designed Cutter, Owner/Operator.
Back to BELLE ISLE BLOG main page